Saturday, November 11, 2017

Net Smart

Net Smart is a how-to-guide for net users.  Rheingold makes the internet user more conscious of their mind on the web by sorting use into 5 categories: attention, participation, collaboration, critical consumption of information (AKA crap detection), and network smarts.  Attention is about metacognition.  According to Rheingold, “Well sustained attention requires premeditation”. Since there is no way for users to consume all the information available, users need to focus thought on a given task, not be distracted, and avoid multitasking.  Meditation can help strengthen attention by allowing thoughts to flee then focusing on breath to bring them back.

Participation and collaboration addresses participatory culture online. Almost everyone has a device that allows them to participate in a social network.  It is important to be cautious of digital footprint because it is permanent.  It is also important to be aware of social norms in online communities.  Social medial can amplify collaboration.   Collaboration through digital media network can increase social capital, help users gain knowledge, and allow people to achieve common goals.


Much of this book parallels The Information Diet.  I really enjoyed reading the neuroscientific points of view and like the author didn't vilify social media.  I will work to teach digital citizenship and caution my students when using digital and social media but continue to discuss its importance.  Students need to learn to have their crap detectors turned on and focus on the task at hand, avoiding distractions and multitasking.

5 comments:

  1. I agree with you that crap detecting is so important. It is easy for the little ones to think that everything they read online is true. Also, knowing how to manage themselves with all that is at their fingertips. Digital Citizenship should be a main focus in our classrooms, as much as being a good citizen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find that attention is the most difficult thing to implement in a classroom and personally. The Internet affords us with endless distractions. Additionally, we are all busy and can simply become distracted by the events of everyday life. Mindfulness should probably include scheduling time appropriately.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We do a Tuesday Tech Tip of the Week episode on our school news show and much of what we broadcast is related to these Common Sense Media oriented principles. I think it's super important to share these messages as frequently as possible!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also saw the similarities between NetSmart and The Information Diet. Both books share lessons that are important for us and for our students to be careful consumers of technology.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reading about the participation piece reminded me of how excited students get when they share their products and how eager they are to participate in the digital world. I work with first graders, and it still surprises me how many of them want to be "YouTubers". Some are actually getting there by recording themselves and showing to friends or having their parents post their videos to other family members. A few days ago I overheard some of my students pretending to be on a youtube video, they know the language and the performance style; "leave us a comment" "don't forget to subscribe" while winking and smiling. I see how my role is to guide them there and help them be informed, safe and successful participants of the digital era.

    ReplyDelete